Thursday, August 13, 2015

Creating Infographics: A Project for Students


Today I participated an American Chemical Society (ACS) Webinar on “Science Communication: Visual Chemistry by Design”. The main presenter was Andy Brunning, a high school chemistry teacher in England, and the creator of Compound Interest – a showcase of his Infographics. (Go check them out!) Apparently he had started out making infographics for his classes, showed them to some of his friends, and then created a website so they could download his material.

What is an infographic? Here’s what Wikipedia has to say: “Information graphics or infographics are graphic visual representations of information, data or knowledge intended to present information quickly and clearly. They can improve cognition by utilizing graphics to enhance the human visual system's ability to see patterns and trends.”

ACS does a great job with its Webinars. There’s a feed that you can use for Q&A with someone other than the main presenter who answers straightforward questions, includes tips and weblinks in real-time, compiles submitted questions and summarizes them for Q&A with the main presenter in the second half of the session, and does little things to help the participants feel engaged. There were several polls interspersed in the first half of the presentation too. I felt I was engaging in an information-rich learning environment, and it was a good reminder that online tools and technology, when used in the right way, can be a powerful medium to engage the learner.

The webinar was also very useful because it exposed me to a number of tools that I, and more importantly my students, can use. I was reflecting on how I can incorporate this aspect of communicating science into my classes, and then it dawned on me – make it an assignment in (at least one of) my classes. I’d been mulling how to structure a final project in my Chemistry & Society course (aimed at non-science majors). In the past I’ve had the students do some research on a chemical everyday product and write a short paper. For smaller classes the students do presentations. For larger classes, students work in groups. I didn’t fancy reading and having to grade a bunch of papers at the end of the semester so I think I might assign designing an infographic as a final project. While I will be responsible for assigning the final grade, I could incorporate peer review into the process. I think the students will find it both useful and fun! Now I need to drill down and refine the parameters of the assignment. But I’m excited to do this! The Webinar hour was time very well spent!

P.S. I apologize to my regular readers for the dearth of posts the last couple of weeks. Life interferes on occasion – this time in a good way!

No comments:

Post a Comment