Monday, February 22, 2016

Be Like Bill Gates: Blog Book Reviews


Early this year I found out that I have at least one thing in common with Bill Gates; we both review books and blog about them. I discovered gatesnotes after reading a very amusing article in InsideHigherEd by Joshua Kim. The first sentence in Kim’s article caught my eye: “There is at least one way that you and I can live our lives like a billionaire – we can spend time reading and sharing our thoughts on books.”

Kim enumerates three things that Gates’ blog tells us about wealth. I’ll just tell you the first and you can read Kim’s article for the rest. “It takes Bill Gates as much time and effort to read and write about books as it does for us. Being a billionaire does not mean that Bill Gates can read faster or with more understanding than us, and it does not mean that his thoughts on the books that he reads will be any more cogent or interesting. When it comes to reading and writing about books, you and I are in the same boat as Bill Gates. How many other activities in life can we say that about?  We can’t travel like Bill Gates. Or live in a house like Bill Gates’s house. In many big ways life is different for the rich. But not with books. This tells me that investing lots of time and effort in reading and discussing lots of books is one way that we can live like a billionaire.”

When I started this blog, I didn’t realize that I was going to read more and blog about books. Looking back at the tags on my previous posts, I see that a substantial number of them are my musings on books I’ve read. In fact this happened within the first six months of blogging. If anything my appetite of reading has increased. Thankfully I live right next to a branch of my local city library. The system has a good collection and even if the local branch does not have what I’m looking for, it’s easy to place a hold on a book, and eventually it comes in. I have a list of books on hold.

After reading Kim’s article, I went to the Gates blog to peruse what a billionaire reads. Turns out I have read a number of books he has read, and I have even blogged about some of them. Some of his reviews are very short and sparse, but others are more in-depth. While I had read a number of the science-related books, I thought I should diversify my reading and look for a genre I don’t normally read. After looking through a number of reviews, I settled on How Asia Works by Joe Studwell – it has to with politics and economics, an area in which I am particularly ignorant. I am however interested in Asia having lived there before the boom times and subsequent Asian economic crisis. I put the book on hold, and it arrived at the local library a couple of weeks ago. I’ve slowly read through it over the past week, after finishing Matt Miodownik’s Stuff Matters. Bill Gates has reviewed that too, but I found out about it from my wife who had listened to it on CD over the course of weeks during her work commute.

Studwell concentrates on eight countries in east Asia and groups them into two categories. The more successful northeast group consists of Japan, China, South Korea, Taiwan. The less successful southeast group are Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines. The story arc focuses on the role of government in facilitating land policy in agriculture, then shifting to industrial manufacturing, and finally to the role of the financial sector. Some countries make the transitions better than others, and Studwell tries to draw out the salient factors behind the successes and failures. There is plenty of history in the accounts be it Meiji Japan, colonial approaches, post World War II enforced restructuring, and Studwell seems to know quite a bit about the many colorful characters involved.

The IMF and World Bank are generally portrayed as providing less than ideal advice in fiscal policy and restructuring. Countries and governments that adhered to the recommendations closely seem to have fared worse in general, with South Korea being an exception. Comparisons are made between the Asian countries, but also with reference to other industrialized and industrializing countries around the world. The biggest factor that Studwell harps on over and over is what he calls “export discipline”, i.e., that government in control through central banks strongly cajole (or in effect force) entrepeneurs to be competitive on the world stage. Acquisition and control of technology is an important factor. So is breaking the oligarchies from moneyed historical families to force industrial development that can survive and thrive on the world stage. There is a fine balance between conservative control of finances and more liberal market procedures, the timing of which is tricky.

It’s in a sense “easy” to look back and point out the mistakes made – and there are many. Although you would think that one should learn from history and not tread the same ruinous path. Humans are humans, and don’t necessarily behave as the economists’ rational actor. Countries that started out in similar “economic conditions” at least measured by Gross National Income and similar wealth differentials measured by the Gini coefficient start to diverge as they take different paths. Studwell’s narrative features a number of “strongmen” who have driven different economic policies for good and ill. It’s a sobering story, and from a recent visit to Asia, I can see the after-effects of financial policies that resulted in skyrocketing real-estate and speculative trading.

My next book (just picked up from the library) isn’t on the Gates blog. It is related to Asia though, but brings in history and science/technology. I’m looking forward to Simon Winchester’s The Man Who Loved China, covering the story of Joseph Needham and his “discovery” of how the early innovations of China.

No comments:

Post a Comment