Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Problem-Solving Presentation Skills


This past week, I was helping out with a portion of my department’s Assessment efforts. The particular task for our group was to go through selected common questions from past year exams and score them according to a pre-determined rubric. The rubric assesses (1) conceptual knowledge, (2) ability to apply that knowledge to solve a problem, and (3) clarity of work. It is the third category that I would like to discuss in today’s post because there was much to mull over.

Let me describe the assessment setup. I’m grateful to a very organized colleague who coordinated the efforts. Since this was part of a program-level assessment, we were looking at outcomes for our majors. First, General Chemistry final exams from declared majors had to be extracted from close to two thousand exam scripts covering a four-year span. The exams were turned to the page displaying the question to be assessed, and an ID number was written on that page. The rest of the exam was stapled to prevent easily looking at the student’s name. Thankfully, I did not have to do any of this – and I profusely thank all those who did the work. (We’ll need to come up with a less time-intensive approach in the future.)

At this point, the faculty team of four got to work. The rubric was discussed beforehand, then we individually scored five exams and discussed our results. This was to establish norming procedures. Subsequently we would divide up the rest of the pile, otherwise it would take too long for us as a group to go through discussion and scoring each exam. The five exams chosen for norming covered the range from “student nailed the question” to “multiple errors and confusion all over the place”. After norming, we got to work. Each exam had to be scored independently by two people (instead of all four). The coordinator would then do all the necessary post-analysis including checking the agreement level and if there were any anomalies.

Was it tedious to score a bunch of exams using a rubric? Yes, but I learned some very interesting things that I would not have considered when grading my final exams at the end of the semester. First, with a much larger data set we could see both the commonality (of student errors) and the diversity of approaches used. Every year we teach multiple sections of General Chemistry. (Last year alone we had 15 sections of the first semester course!) Second, since all four of us were in the same room, we could discuss what was most important to us in determining whether a student successfully demonstrated conceptual knowledge or how we interpreted clarity. (It was usually straightforward to see if a student could apply their knowledge to solve a problem.) I’m pleased to say that while we did agree for the most part, we also learned from each other. Now, I happen to be in a department where hallway chatting with my colleagues about various aspects of teaching is commonplace. However, having the goal of assessing a particular question opened up both a wider and deeper conversation. A hallway chat might be 10-15 minutes. Being in the same room for 3-4 hours with a specific task provides a different and complementary environment. (Our coordinator also provided excellent food and snacks to tide us over!)

I would like to focus on discussing the clarity aspect in problem-solving, particularly in how students present their answers on paper. This jumped out at me during our session assessing the solving of a stoichiometry problem, because as faculty we sometimes disagreed about what details we wanted to see in a solution. A capable student who knows how to solve a multi-step numerical problem is going to get the correct values for the final answer, however some skip steps. For example, students correctly calculated the number of moles of reactants, and then “knew” which was the limiting reactant based on the next set of calculations – but did not always clearly point out which was the limiting reactant. Other students would scrawl “limiting reactant” or LR somewhere close by, but did not show how they knew. (It requires a quick algebraic calculation based on the relative stoichiometry of the reactants in the balanced equation.) Very likely, they punched their calculator, figured out the right answer, and then moved on. The other place where clarity was an issue was not clearly indicating when one was calculating “amount consumed” versus “amount produced” and in some cases “amount leftover” for the non-limiting reactant. Some students wrote in all the numbers correctly, even showing the calculation, but with little to no explanatory text.

One point of discussion that came up is “who” the audience should be. Clearly, the students are writing for the instructor – but they often tacitly assume that the instructor can “read between the lines”. Now, since we were all experienced faculty and we’ve used the common question multiple times (for assessment purposes), we can follow what the student is doing even if steps are skipped or text is not written out clearly – at least when the student gets the correct final numerical values. (If the student gets the final values wrong, then we have to look a little more carefully at where the student went wrong to see if any partial credit can be given and to indicate the source of the error.) But perhaps the students should aim their explanations not at the instructor, but at the level of a fellow student in the same class. That’s what I tell students in the accompanying lab course as they write in their lab notebooks and put together their lab reports, but I don’t think I’ve explicitly said the same for exams in the “lecture” portion of the course.

Now, I do model what should go into a solution. When something new is introduced, I work out the solution step-by-step on the board with accompanying explanatory remarks and assumptions. My exam solution sets also include all this. But I think there are three issues I need to consider further. Many moons ago, I made the switch to using online homework (via Pearson’s Mastering Chemistry since we use a Pearson textbook for General Chemistry). Like any other system there are pros and cons. The major pro is that students are motivated to constantly keep up and can work anywhere, anytime as long as they have an internet connection. They also get immediate feedback. It also reduces my grading substantially since I no longer grade homework (which was rather tedious). The major con is that students type in their numerical values or very short (easy-for-computer-to-grade) answers in the online system. They don’t get much practice writing out an answer in full clarity, unless they happen to be predisposed to doing so. A few do, as evidence of their homework-notebook (I ask students to work the problems on paper and bring it in to my office when they have questions), but most others have a sketchy outline with all sorts of skipped steps. So they only get practice when they are taking notes in class (when I work an example on the board). When we actively work in small groups on problems in class, I often don’t collect their worksheets – although I do provide a solution set (sometimes on the spot on the board). When I circulate in class, I’m usually not looking for the clarity in the written solution; I’m focused on trying to help the students understand the main concepts and apply them. I need to rethink my approach.

One possible route is to go back to making students turn in solutions to problem sets. I still do this when I have a smaller class, but in a larger class the grading becomes substantial. But perhaps I should still do this several times during the semester in a larger class. Another possibility is to actually have students look at previous student work (varying from excellent to downright confusing) and critique it using a rubric, i.e., have the students do the same thing I did for Assessment. This might be a very valuable exercise and I should block off some class time to make sure this happens several times during the semester. While I could come up with examples demonstrating the range, I think using actual student work might be more convincing. I was flabbergasted by some of the answers in the assessment, as I had to decide what the score should be on the rubric.

The second thing I need to consider is how I tend to give the stronger students in my classes a pass (i.e. full credit) for a correct final solution even though steps have been skipped. In the assessment, I did not know the identity of the student and they were often not from my class (given the multiplicity of sections) and therefore I really took a good look at clarity (because it was on the rubric). If being able to present your work clearly and with sufficiently complete information is a key skill, I need to make sure this gets emphasized sufficiently not just in my teaching, but in my grading. Yes, I know the students in my own class and I know those who “know” how to do the problem. I can even tell what they are doing in their heads and not writing down. But the writing down and presenting is important – very important in fact – for any future career.

Third, I realized that some of the students skip steps or don’t present their work as clearly because of time pressure in exams. My exams are tight – the average student has just enough time to finish, but with very little leeway. I think that time on task is one among several measures of whether a student understands the material. A student who really understands will be able to solve the problems much more quickly than one who is floundering around trying many things that don’t work. But maybe they are too tight, and I need to reduce the amount of material asked on an exam and balance it with clarity in solution presentation. This means that I need to emphasize the importance of clarity throughout the semester if I want to see the students do this on an exam.

That’s a lot to mull over, but I’ve still got six weeks to prepare. I did learn some very useful things from this assessment exercise, and it’s something our group will be sharing with the department. Sometimes assessment can be useful, even though there are some tedious bits and related administrative busywork. I certainly benefited from my participation in the exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment