Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Investigations and the 4th Law of Thermodynamics


I’ve been working my way through Stuart Kauffman’s Investigations. The question to be answered is a profound one: “What is Life?” Short answer: We still don’t really know. Kauffman has been thinking about this problem for quite a while and has developed a model of “autocatalytic sets” to investigate the transition from chemistry to biology. His papers are not the easiest to read, but his ideas sure are interesting! I’ve been following some of his work although there is much that I don’t quite comprehend (yet).

In his book, Kauffman suggests a candidate fourth law of thermodynamics: “As an average trend, biospheres and the universe create novelty as fast as they can manage to do so without destroying the accumulated propagating organization that is the basis and nexus from which further novelty is discovered and incorporated into the propagating organization.”

That was a very long sentence, which is also chock-full of information (no pun intended). Here’s his next sentence which summarizes/defines Life, which is its own paragraph: “Autonomous agents themselves, self-reproducing systems carrying out one or more work cycles linking exergonic and endergonic processes in a cyclic fashion that propagate the union of catalysis, constraint construction, and process organization that constitute that autonomous agents are but the most miraculously diversifying examples of this universal process in our unfolding, ever-changing universe.” (This is on p85 of Chapter 4 for those of you who want to read the context of these sentences.)

Here’s a short and sweet version from one of the NASA working definitions of Life: “A self-sustaining chemical system capable of Darwinian evolution.”

Of the definitions I’ve heard my favorite is: “I know it when I see it.” This statement was famously used by Justice Potter Stewart commenting on something completely different back in 1964.

But back to thermodynamics (which I’ve been thinking about this week because my students are learning about it in my General Chemistry class). Aren’t there already four laws?

Yes, you heard me correctly, there already are four laws. Many people think there are only three because we tend to forget about the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics, which folks back in the day used as a starting assumption (but no one stated as a Law), thus allowing them to formulate the other three laws. So technically Kauffman is proposing a fifth law of thermodynamics, which would then be the Fourth Law. Confusing isn’t it?

My version of Laws Zero, One, Two and Three:

0. Things are just going downhill
1. You can’t win, you can only break even
2. You can’t even break even
3. Unless Hell freezes over

I think I’ll summarize Kauffman’s Fourth as:

4. And yet things move and have their being

(This is inspired by Galileo’s Eppur si muove or “and yet it moves”, which he probably did not actually say, but was attributed to him later, and also Acts 17:28 in the Bible which uses the phrase “live and move and have our being” most likely recorded by Dr. Luke on behalf of the apostle Paul.)

Kauffman’s suggests that built into our laws of physics and chemistry is the propensity to explore molecular space. We don’t know exactly how this is built in, but it boils down to being in a non-equilibrium situation (from a thermodynamic point of view) where not all “space” has been explored. Another way of saying this is that the universe is not ergodic. Kauffman postulates that only parts of the “adjacent other” get explored in reality, and what gives rise to the peculiarity of our universe is a cosmos that co-constructs itself. I can’t say that I fully grasp Kauffman’s ideas (I will have to grapple with them more) but I have a suspicion that he may be on the right track at least in broad strokes.

I couldn’t find an online version of a old comic strip (I’m pretty sure it was Zits) that ponders this very question. One character, while pondering, muses: “There’s something about life I just don’t understand.” His buddy responds: “What is it?” To which the original muser says “Exactly.”

No comments:

Post a Comment