Friday, August 21, 2015

Letter from a former student to new students


I am looking forward to teaching first semester General Chemistry this coming Fall semester. This is a class I teach almost every year, and I still look forward to trying a few new things. I’d been thinking about different ways to help my students succeed in this class, and one item I’ll be adding to my class web page is a letter from a student in my class last Fall addressed to my students this Fall. I’m sure I read this idea somewhere, but doing something about it didn’t click until I passed this student in the hallway last semester. I remembered her from my class because she was one of the few students who clearly demonstrated the desire and will to improve. She had started the class doing rather poorly, had a wake-up call, and then improved incrementally with each successive exam, and ended up with a high B in the class (putting her in the top 20%). She came to office hours, asked good questions, and clearly put in the work needed to master the material. It was impressive to see her improve. If only more students did this.

Anyway, I thought she would be the right person to write such a letter, so here it is (redacted for identifying information) and with no guidance from me. I simply asked her to write about what she did that helped her improve her learning in the class. I did ask her permission first before posting.

===
Dear [G-Chem I] Student,

Let me start off by saying congratulations and welcome to [name of institution]!  As a past [G-Chem I] student of [Dr. H] I have been in your exact place and I survived.  I’m sure many of you were like me, in the top of your class and sporting an exhausting number of AP classes.  Let me tell you from experience that college is a completely new and exciting challenge.  When I first got to college I was very arrogant thinking that I would continue to obtain easy A’s, but I was wrong.  After getting my first chemistry test back I realized that college wasn’t going to be a breeze and that I was going to have to really put in the time to change my study habits in order to be more successful. 

My number one suggestion is take advantage of office hours!  Everyone will give you this piece of advice and I strongly encourage you to take it.  Come prepared with lots of questions.  Sometimes even coming and listening to another student’s questions might make you realize something you missed or give you a chance to explain the answer.  Being able to fully explain in detail a certain question shows a strong knowledge of the material. If you aren’t able to teach the topic to someone else then you should review it until you can.  Also, be sure to do the practice test that [Dr. H] provides as they will allow you to test yourself and reveal any areas in need of improvement.  Looking over notes before and after lecture will help cement new and challenging material to memory.  Take the pop quizzes at the beginning of class as another way to find weaknesses that may require additional study time.  By studying over time, like this, studying for an exam wouldn’t be an all-night process but instead it would only take me an hour or less to quickly review the material.  Although I found these strategies beneficial, it is important to know that there is no definite recipe for a good grade, but trying a variety of study strategies will help you find what’s best for you.

You all have the ability to be successful and I hope that somehow you can learn from my failures as well as my success.  I strongly encourage you to explore study strategies and not to be discouraged if the ones you used previously no longer give a desirable outcome.  Lastly, don’t let a bad test score make you believe that you can’t be successful; improvement is definitely possible, and trust me, you can recover.

===

My General Chemistry syllabus regularly includes a section on “how to study for this course”. Although I point it out to students at least 2-4 times during the course of the semester, I wonder how often students actually follow the “advice” coming from me. Maybe hearing advice from a fellow student who was willing to put in the work will make an impact. We’ll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment