Wednesday, September 2, 2020

And Jesus Wept

A receipt used as a bookmark. That’s what I occasionally find hidden in the pages of a library book. Or nothing.

 

Imagine my surprise at finding the following gem folded up in a book from my university’s library. Whoever stuck it there was likely another professor.

 


I have not heard of the Brooklyn Bible and a quick internet search revealed nothing. But I thank whoever wrote this for giving me a good laugh. It’s also very clever. Let me hint at why, without giving away too much.

 

The short Sermon on the Mount (the first paragraph with the “Blessed are…” statements) cleverly paraphrases the final line, “When these things come to pass…” to set up the rest of the humorous bits.

 

The second paragraph is the stereotypical litany ascribed to students who weren’t paying attention. Disciples falling asleep in class? Also if you have some bible knowledge, I think the questions from John and Judas are particularly apt given their statements or roles in the gospel narratives.

 

The third paragraph features the Pharisees and Assessment. ‘Nuff said.

 

And then Thomas comes in late.

 

For those unfamiliar with the bible, “Jesus wept” is the shortest sentence in the bible. It comes after the death of Lazarus. Lazarus will return from the dead. As will this stereotypical educational humor. My final two words on this piece?

 

Great Conclusion!

 

Post Script. I’m planning to fold this up and stick it back in the library book for the next unsuspecting patron to receive a pleasant surprise.


No comments:

Post a Comment