I arbitrarily chose today to mark the beginning of my sabbatical. In my mind, the most significant change I will be making is that I will NOT keep a timelog for the next twelve months. I had been keeping one since I started my tenure-track faculty position a long time ago; I even provided a ten-year snapshot with brief analysis in this blog.
Many faculty members maintain a flexible schedule through most of their careers. Sometimes work is done on evenings and weekends; sometimes one runs a non-work-related errand in the middle of a weekday. In that sense, their life is like that of a college student: Show up for classes and meetings, and do other work when you’re not in class or in a meeting, with more frenzied activity as a deadline approaches. Like some students, professors can also be procrastinators and constantly doing things at the last-minute. On top of that, there’s research. It never ends. There’s always something to read, something to think about, an experiment to run, and it constantly occupies one’s mind-space.
I’m an atypical professor with regard to time. From the beginning of my career, I made a clean division between work and non-work. I treated work as a 9-to-5 job (more like 7-to-4 in my actual case). When at work, I focused on work. When away from work, I did no work and did not check my work email on evenings and weekends. Studies suggest that most professors work significantly more than 40 hours per week; one that includes charts and breakdown of time usage claims 60 hours per week on average for tenure-line faculty although this is self-reported data. My average is 42 hours over more than two decades of data, and while my data is also self-reported, I meticulously logged my time use daily. But this also means, that when I’m at work, I have to be efficient to get things done. There’s no time for procrastination or distraction, and overall, this has made me a disciplined worker.
Keeping a timelog is very useful when you have a self-directed job with many different things you want to accomplish on top of teaching obligations and open-ended research projects. To make sure I was maintaining the balance I wanted, I regularly looked at how my time was being spent and make adjustments. This provides stricture and discipline, but I wonder if over the years it has reduced my flexibility and squelched my creativity. Perhaps I have even become risk-averse intellectually; honestly, I’m not sure. Hence, I am embarking on my no-timelog experiment. I will, over the next year, not place strictures on when I work and how I work, allow some of my work and non-work to mix, and observe what happens. My pitch to myself is that I am aiming for a wholistic sabbatical.
I did write a sabbatical proposal which was approved, so I do have some professional goals to accomplish. I have prior research I’d like to write up, new research projects I’d like to think about, classes I’m excited to overhaul, and new classes I’d like to design. Maybe I will learn a language; maybe I will do more traveling; maybe I will learn to use some new tech tools; and I will certainly do more reading! I would also like to be rested, refreshed and rejuvenated when I return to my regular daily job for the Fall 2027 semester. But one step at a time, and this morning’s blog post is just the first step on the first day of the next twelve months!
As an Assistant Professor in an R1 university, where most of my duties are self-directed and I make my own schedule for the most part, I am very curious to learn how your experiment goes this upcoming year.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I am just not a very disciplined individual, and while it does help with the openness and creativity aspect of things - I often struggle with sitting myself down to finish mundane or otherwise unpleasant but necessary tasks. I am very disciplined when I have external structure imposed on me.
I sometimes wonder, had I been a naturally more disciplined human, would I have been more productive even without an external structure? In a way, this is what you are attempting to do.